Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Make an Enquiry
Call us Now!
+91-9820399296
Our Studio Locations

View QuickstepSALSA Centre Locations in a larger map
Latest topics
» Body Isolations and Coordination by Burju
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am by renata

» Amazing spinning videos
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm by billymarsh

» International Salsa Greats
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm by billymarsh

» Movies about ballroom/latin dancing?
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm by billymarsh

» Dance Floor Etiquette
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 pm by billymarsh

» Dancing On1 and On2 compared
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm by billymarsh

» Why won't men ask me to dance?
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm by billymarsh

» Intro :)
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am by Gaurav

» INTRODUCTION
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm by Alpa Antani

» Tips on Choreography (group performances)
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm by sangeeta

» Spinning Techniques
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm by bhakti

» hello to all
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm by bhakti

» EVENTS COMING UP IN JUNE!
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm by sangeeta

» SOCIAL DANCING vs. CHOREOGRAPHY
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm by sangeeta

» Miss The Wonderful Classes
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm by sangeeta

Video of the day

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 168 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 am
Donations

If your heart permits, click on the picture to donate a little and keep our site high quality and Ad-free
Site Visitors
centerpointe

Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer!

4 posters

Go down

Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Empty Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer!

Post  sangeeta Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Hey all you guys out there....this is a VERY helpful article on how you can become a better leader. please read and apply Smile

"Article contributed by Esteban Conde

Imagine yourself in that salsa club for the first time: the music is loud, upbeat and with great energy and everyone is dressed in a fashionable way. As you walk in, you approach the dance floor. Here is when you are truly introduced to the world of salsa. You stare at the dancers as you see dancing, executing all these amazing turns; how they dance with passion, the sexiness, and then again, the turns! The never-ending, fun turn!!

Sound like your experience? It was definitely mine, so right away I knew I had to learn how to dance.

Once I started dancing, the better I saw myself dancing, the more I noticed that some girls did not enjoy dancing with me or they’d just flat out say no every time I asked them to dance. Why? After all I was doing all the turns and dips, the sexy patterns, the fun stuff - you know, the works

It was after some time that I truly learned what makes a guy a great dancer:

" When you dance salsa, you don’t make the girl do the turns, you guide her."

This observation alone is very general, but it opens the door to help you understand dancing in a new way. Leading is the key to being a great dancer. Let’s dive in to see how you can improve the way you play your role on the dance floor as a leader. So here we go:

• LEADING VS. MAKING.
Most girls will be familiar with guys making you do the turns and combinations. After all, when you go home after a night of salsa dancing, you feel that your whole body is sore as you if were beaten by a gang of wild monkeys. Guys! Lead as if you were showing the way, not as if you were making her play catch up. It’s ok to be toned and firm, guys, but not rough. There is a line between those two concepts and believe me, it’s not a fine one. There is a big difference when it comes down to making versus leading. Want to know what kind of lead you are? Do a survey among the girls you dance with. They’ll be happy to tell you.

• BE SPECIFIC.
This one baffles me: the guy places the hand up and somehow, by magic, he expects the girl to turn. What king of dance instructor teaches this concept to their students? Every move has to be specific guys. If you want to move a chair from point A to B, you have to make it happen right? So lead as if you were making the turn happen. But remember: guide vs. make. Be assertive in your moves as if she were to close her eyes and still be able to follow you.

• PUT YOURSELF IN HER SHOES.
Guys, guys, guys!! If she is falling after the same turn patterns, or she feels uncomfortable with some of your moves, then don’t do them. Try combinations and moves that help the girl feel more comfortable, and are at her level of dancing. Always adapt to her, without expecting her to adapt to you. It’s funny to see some guys doing the same endless turns until the girl is falling down. You guys, this is not your signal to stop those turns. If she is loosing her balance, don’t keep going on and on

• IMPROVE YOUR LEAD VS. SHE DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW.
Changing this perspective will help you see opportunities to be better at leading. Often times, I hear guys make comments like: “I don’t like dancing with her, she can’t follow”. Instead why don’t you say to yourself: “What can I do to improve my lead in this particular move, so that she can follow it next time?” After all you want to improve as a lead right? Then start by working on yourself. Thinking this way helps you be the guy who can lead everybody. And ladies will enjoy dancing with you because of that.

• BE CLOSER TO HER.
Let me put it in other words: be within reach. Dance at a distance that will make it easy for you as a lead so you don’t have to be running after her. I suggest a one-foot distance between your body and hers as you dance. You will feel more in control and this will help her feel your lead. In addition to this, don’t over extend your arms when you dance, especially in your open breaks. This creates extra distance between you and your partner, making it hard to reach or lead the next move.

• BE IN TUNE WITH THE WAY HER BODY FEELS AS SHE DANCES.
Pay attention to how she feels, her movement, her momentum, her resistance, her body language, her distance, and her styling. You will be able to place combinations and moves that flow and fit the moment versus placing moves or combos for the sake of the move.

• PAY ATTENTION TO THE MUSIC.
If you don’t, you are just going through the motion - you are not dancing. Remember that we dance to the music, and so does the girl. You will also be able to coordinate your moves better, and trust me, your dancing will improve dramatically.

• LEARN HOW TO BE AN EFICIENT LEAD, AND THEN APPLY STYLING.
Many guys out there get so into the moves and styling that they end up forgetting about leading the girl, or end up confusing her. Sometimes styling can interfere with the girl’s following, so be aware of it. Assertive leading helps you be in tune with your dance partner. Do you feel in tune with the people you dance with or are you just dancing with yourself?

• KEEP LEARNING.
Learn other dances: It improves your favorite dance. Think you know it all? Then you must be a world champion and everyone enjoys dancing with you! Not your case? Not to worry! We can all improve and learn new things, even as a professional dancer I will always continue learning. Take some privates, work on your technique and try learning a new dance.

And the final one:

• LEARN HOW TO FOLLOW.

This is the best thing you could do, if you are really serious about dancing. Do you really want to be exceptionally good at leading? Then practice following. Take your dancing to the next level and understand dancing from the follower’s perspective. True leaders know how followers feel. What better way to know than by being one?

All these little tips will help you get there as a great leader. And always remember: when it comes down to being a successful dancer, the stronger the foundations, the better you will be able to build upon them. So get to it!"

sangeeta
sangeeta

Female
Number of posts : 127
Job/hobbies : dancing, acting, travelling, reading
My Salsa Skill Level :
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Empty Re: Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer!

Post  AnandMajumdar Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:26 pm

really nice article..! its a joy to read.. big thank you to esteban for writing and sangeeta for sourcing and posting

regards
anand
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum

Male
Number of posts : 549
Job/hobbies : Salsa Teacher
My Salsa Skill Level :
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-13

http://www.anandmajumdar.com

Back to top Go down

Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Empty Re: Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer!

Post  jhkotak Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Excellent article could not be more informative.

Should be re-read every once in a while.

Rgds
JHK
jhkotak
jhkotak

Male
Number of posts : 7
My Salsa Skill Level :
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Empty Hi

Post  vispy daroga Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Sangeeta,

Read the article on lead & follow. It is very informative. Hope to make use of it at the class to improve on my leads.

vispy daroga

Male
Number of posts : 1
My Salsa Skill Level :
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post  sangeeta Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:55 am

Glad to see you on the forum Vispy Smile Keep a llok out for more articles...
sangeeta
sangeeta

Female
Number of posts : 127
Job/hobbies : dancing, acting, travelling, reading
My Salsa Skill Level :
Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Left_bar_bleue35 / 10035 / 100Tips to help guys lead like a professional dancer! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down