Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Make an Enquiry
Call us Now!
+91-9820399296
Our Studio Locations

View QuickstepSALSA Centre Locations in a larger map
Latest topics
» Body Isolations and Coordination by Burju
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am by renata

» Amazing spinning videos
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm by billymarsh

» International Salsa Greats
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm by billymarsh

» Movies about ballroom/latin dancing?
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm by billymarsh

» Dance Floor Etiquette
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 pm by billymarsh

» Dancing On1 and On2 compared
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm by billymarsh

» Why won't men ask me to dance?
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm by billymarsh

» Intro :)
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am by Gaurav

» INTRODUCTION
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm by Alpa Antani

» Tips on Choreography (group performances)
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm by sangeeta

» Spinning Techniques
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm by bhakti

» hello to all
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm by bhakti

» EVENTS COMING UP IN JUNE!
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm by sangeeta

» SOCIAL DANCING vs. CHOREOGRAPHY
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm by sangeeta

» Miss The Wonderful Classes
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm by sangeeta

Video of the day

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 168 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 am
Donations

If your heart permits, click on the picture to donate a little and keep our site high quality and Ad-free
Site Visitors
centerpointe

Are there any different styles in Rhumba also???

3 posters

Go down

Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Empty Are there any different styles in Rhumba also???

Post  ashishsax Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 pm

I was downloading some Rhumba vids and also saw various on youtube.... in all those i observed one thing ..all of them looked very serious, performance oriented and formal with the couples doing lot of solo stuff and making artistic poses, sometimes looking more of gymnasts etc.

Now this is very much unlike the rhumba we learnt in class which (in my opinion) was more laid back and relaxed, more romantic and sensual and the kind which i would love to do after a candle light dinner...or some lazy sunday afternoon etc. I personally find the one we have learnt in Quickstep class much better ..

But my question is: Question Are there different styles in Rhumba too??
ashishsax
ashishsax

Male
Number of posts : 118
Job/hobbies : IT
My Salsa Skill Level :
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Empty Re: Are there any different styles in Rhumba also???

Post  AnandMajumdar Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:53 am

well international latin ballroom competition style rumba will seem and look very very different. and i agree there is little romance left in it. i prefer teaching with a more social view and i teach on the 1 as opposed to rumba traditionally being on 2

also there is the american stlye ballroom rumba. their basic step is a box basic.

and finally there is afro-cuban rumba. totally different to ballroom rumba. nothing similar.

anand
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum

Male
Number of posts : 549
Job/hobbies : Salsa Teacher
My Salsa Skill Level :
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-13

http://www.anandmajumdar.com

Back to top Go down

Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Empty Of Rumba etc

Post  Chindu Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:44 am

Ashish, Anand: I think a better way of differentiating between 'styles' of rumba – or for that matter that of any dance -- would be into ‘social’ and ‘competitive’. Social, anywhere in the world, is different. Much more relaxed, less emphasise on technique, frame, connection etc. In that sense, competitive dancing tends to be sharper and, yes, performance-oriented. And I think the reason it looks so different is not because it is actually different (bar the execution), but because mostly they work with adaptations of basic figures and timing. If you look sharp, I am sure you will see New York and hand-to-hand and fan and aida and everything else there as well – but they are usually executed with different timings.

Not sure I agree with both of you that there is no romance left in Rumba. On second thoughts, I am not even sure that Rumba is supposed to be 'romantic' as what is normally implied by the term. Okay, people tend to say in public that it is the dance of love. But that’s a polite way of saying that it is the dance of lovemaking. :-) So I would argue it is more sexual than sensual (and, yeah, both can be romantic, though the quality of romance could be open to interpretation). In any case, I think the particular quality we are talking about here is very much in competitive rumba, much more so. Though they are not in closed hold, the connection a good couple will have – body language, expression, etc etc – is lot more than you normally see in social dancing.

Rumba on 1 and 2…. Um, trouble is, unlike salsa where there is an option, mostly social dancers dance on 2 (just as the competitors). Ditto, for cha cha… Worry is, if you are dancing on 1, you will be able to dance with only people who dance on 1 -- and they are far and few. You will face the same problem as Cuban salseros, who, because of their style, find it difficult to dance with cross-body dancers…

Chindu

Male
Number of posts : 39
My Salsa Skill Level :
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Empty Re: Are there any different styles in Rhumba also???

Post  AnandMajumdar Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:13 am

hi chindu,

thank you for your valuable post.. Smile .. cheers and welcome to the forum..would you like to take charge of our ballroom section since you are an expert at that ?.. we could do with some valuable posts there..let me know

anand
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar

Male
My Salsa Skill Level :
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  Chindu Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:13 am

AnandMajumdar wrote:hi chindu,

thank you for your valuable post.. Smile .. cheers and welcome to the forum..would you like to take charge of our ballroom section since you are an expert at that ?.. we could do with some valuable posts there..let me know

anand

Anand, possibly I will be of better use to the forum as a free agent, without any moderator responsibilities. But thanks for the offer! Good to know you are doing well.

Chindu

Male
My Salsa Skill Level :
Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Are there any different styles in Rhumba also??? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  AnandMajumdar Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:25 pm

hi chindu,

ok dont worry about moderation.. lets just have some kickass action in the ballroom section. unfortunately have given up ballroom completely many many years ago..

so i think u r the ideal suspect to get it moving

anand
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar

Male
My Salsa Skill Level :

Back to top Go down

Post  Chindu Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Glad to respond. Will leave you to pick the topic... :-)

Chindu

Male
My Salsa Skill Level :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down