Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Make an Enquiry
Call us Now!
+91-9820399296
Our Studio Locations

View QuickstepSALSA Centre Locations in a larger map
Latest topics
» Body Isolations and Coordination by Burju
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am by renata

» Amazing spinning videos
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm by billymarsh

» International Salsa Greats
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm by billymarsh

» Movies about ballroom/latin dancing?
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm by billymarsh

» Dance Floor Etiquette
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 pm by billymarsh

» Dancing On1 and On2 compared
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm by billymarsh

» Why won't men ask me to dance?
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm by billymarsh

» Intro :)
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am by Gaurav

» INTRODUCTION
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm by Alpa Antani

» Tips on Choreography (group performances)
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm by sangeeta

» Spinning Techniques
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm by bhakti

» hello to all
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm by bhakti

» EVENTS COMING UP IN JUNE!
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm by sangeeta

» SOCIAL DANCING vs. CHOREOGRAPHY
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm by sangeeta

» Miss The Wonderful Classes
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm by sangeeta

Video of the day

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 168 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 am
Donations

If your heart permits, click on the picture to donate a little and keep our site high quality and Ad-free
Site Visitors
centerpointe

Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep

Go down

Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep Empty Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep

Post  meenakshi Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:42 am

For all Quickstep performers for the Kala Ghoda festival on 11th Feb 2009, here are some important things that will help you polish your performance. Of whatever little I know, I would like to share it with you all.

Dancing on a stage in front of an audience is very different and- if I may say so- very difficult as compared to social dancing in a Club. When you are in a club the lights are often dim, not focused on a particular group of people, mistakes are both expected and permitted and there is a bright chance of fewer people noticing you when there are a lot of couples on the floor.

Coming to dancing on stage, everything is just against you. All eyes are on you, backstage and the light men will make sure you are clearly visible to the last one in the audience and to make things worse there will be multiple cameras to capture every single move you make. So MISTAKES cannot be afforded. I don’t mean to scare you off but in case you are wondering, that the problem is clear but where is the solution?????

I say Right here. Few simple yet important things you need to know before you are out there.

Be regular at the rehearsals:

NEVER NEVER miss a single rehearsal, especially when performing as a group. In a group act what is most important is synchronization of your movements with those of the others. The key to success is purely practice. If you miss a practice it not only going to harm your performance but that of your partner too. So if you have no time, no patience, no commitment and I give a damn attitude, and then its best to keep yourself away from participating. Remember that you are not there to make yourself look good but you are there to look good as a team. So keep the team spirit high.

Adapting a more general style of dancing:
When I say adapting I do not refer to your dance partner, but here we are talking about styling. As you are familiar with the word styling in Salsa, refers to that extra touch that you add to the basics to personalize it. As we are all different individuals with different natures, so is our styling. Hence when in a group act, its best to get yourself adapted to a more generalized styling or choreographed styling to maintain the consistency of the movement among all individuals.

Clarity and finesse of movements:
We all know the steps, so what next???? Knowing the steps and mindlessly repeating them never works for a good act. Once you know the step, you need to work on the clarity and finesse of the movements to make them effective. For example a movement that involves stretching your hand outwards, one has to make sure that it is exactly in the position and on that particular beat that it is meant to be. A half hearted stretch would lead to a clumsy look and hence the movement will not be complete. Never be in a hurry to go to the next step before completing the previous one. Half hearted movements results in a poor performance.

Entry and exit:
It is easier to start and end an act in an auditorium as compared to an open air stage. For a simple reason that you have an advantage in an auditorium to walk in and walk out of the stage, as you please, till the curtain stays dropped. But on an open air stage your entry and exit from the stage, before and after your act, is as important as the act itself. How to enter with your partner from the wings and take your position on stage, how to exit from the stage once you have finished with the act is what you need to know and learn.

Formations, sequences:
Well this is more a choreographer’s lookout. Addition of group formations like circular, linear and acrobatic patterns always adds that WOW factor to the performance. The change in orientation and juggling between partners adds an interest to the act and helps keep the excitement of the audience consistent till the end of the act. Execution of such parts in a dance is difficult and hence needs a lot of practice.

Costumes and props:
Properly coordinated costumes are extremely important as much as their comfort ability. Try the costumes on and take atleast two to three rehearsals so that you are confident that you can carry them off. Since partner dances may involve lifts, dips, drops and many other moves where there might be a possibility of a wardrobe malfunction, please bring it to the choreographers notice during the costume rehearsals. Feel good to look good.

Most importantly, no matter what you forget to wear…one thing that you should not forget is to wear a SMILE.

Its good to be nervous:
It always works for me. If you are a little nervous before your final performance it makes it easier to give it your more than 100 percent. Little nervousness with right attitude, confidence and full energy will make you enjoy what you do and your audience will enjoy it too.

Pray together:
Even the best dancers make the worst mistakes. You can also go blank sometimes. So here is one little thing I suggest. Stand in a circle, cross your hands and hold them with the other members standing on either side of you. Close your eyes and PRAY. It does not take more than a minute.

Friends all the above matter is purely from my heart so I request you all to please excuse any errors that might have occurred. Anyone wishing to add any useful matter related to this topic is more than just welcome. Please enrich this thread with your knowledge.

If you follow these things religiously then victory will only be YOURS and when you hear the applause from the audience, trust me friends its no less an experience then that of pure “MAGIC” (Anand I know that the copyright for this word is with you but please allow me)

GOODLUCK and give a ROCKING performance cheers

Love
Meenakshi…… Very Happy

Last edited by meenakshi on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
meenakshi
meenakshi
Excellent Member
Excellent Member

Female
Number of posts : 189
Job/hobbies : Architecture,Dance and travel........
Humor : Friendly, sometimes witty
My Salsa Skill Level :
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep Empty Example

Post  meenakshi Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:50 am

Please find a video which is a very good example of what I am trying to say in my article.

meenakshi
meenakshi
Excellent Member
Excellent Member

Female
My Salsa Skill Level :
Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep Empty Re: Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep

Post  meenakshi Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:54 am

Please observe the entry and exit before and after the act in the video above.
meenakshi
meenakshi
Excellent Member
Excellent Member

Female
My Salsa Skill Level :

Back to top Go down

Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep Empty Re: Kala Ghoda performance by Quickstep

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down