Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Make an Enquiry
Call us Now!
+91-9820399296
Our Studio Locations

View QuickstepSALSA Centre Locations in a larger map
Latest topics
» Body Isolations and Coordination by Burju
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am by renata

» Amazing spinning videos
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm by billymarsh

» International Salsa Greats
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm by billymarsh

» Movies about ballroom/latin dancing?
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm by billymarsh

» Dance Floor Etiquette
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 pm by billymarsh

» Dancing On1 and On2 compared
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm by billymarsh

» Why won't men ask me to dance?
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm by billymarsh

» Intro :)
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am by Gaurav

» INTRODUCTION
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm by Alpa Antani

» Tips on Choreography (group performances)
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm by sangeeta

» Spinning Techniques
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm by bhakti

» hello to all
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm by bhakti

» EVENTS COMING UP IN JUNE!
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm by sangeeta

» SOCIAL DANCING vs. CHOREOGRAPHY
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm by sangeeta

» Miss The Wonderful Classes
How to get your salsa groove back... EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm by sangeeta

Video of the day

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 168 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 am
Donations

If your heart permits, click on the picture to donate a little and keep our site high quality and Ad-free
Site Visitors
centerpointe

How to get your salsa groove back...

3 posters

Go down

How to get your salsa groove back... Empty How to get your salsa groove back...

Post  AnandMajumdar Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:52 am

How to get your salsa groove back...
by Rose Lau (aka Rose Knows...)
December, 2001
Thanks to the great feedback from many dancers on and off the dancefloor, I decided to turn this story into an article as it seems to be a universal problem at some point in a dancer's lifecyle...

Thanks to my chats with two fellow salsaholics recently, they reminded me of where my dance inspiration comes from when you think you've hit saturation point with salsa." After living and breathing it every day (and feeling like I had to be out every night) -- it started to feel more like a job than a passion; plus like any "addiction", it can start to take over every free moment of your spare time. Obviously, that's not reality, and that's when you need to say stop. The only problem with stopping is finding the "groove" again when you are so used to getting that fix or you feel out of sorts when you do go out. Well, there are a couple of cures for that, such as:

1. Remembering why you got addicted to salsa in the first place.

2. Think about all the things that motivate you or keep you motivated to become the dancer you want to be, such as dance classes in other forms of dance (my favourites were ballroom, argentine tango and west coast swing), watching great dancers in the clubs, going to other cities to dance, watching great dancers from other cities, watching dance shows in other forms of dance you enjoy watching, such as ballroom or how about bringing out the old dance movies or dance convention videos to watch.

3. Go out and "dance as if nobody's watching". Who cares if you don't do it perfectly, dance is also about how it makes you feel physically and mentally; and if you look great doing it at the same time, then that's gravy. If you think of every dancer you admire in Toronto or somewhere around the World, and if you watched them progress, you will remember that they were beginners at one time too. They took time, training and practice to be where they are today; and don't forget they all looked awkward at some point in time.

4. Don't feel you have to try and keep up with your peers that improve unless you are willing to invest the time also to train or practice.

5. If you're frustrated from all the new stuff you're learning and it's not coming together, take a break and just dance any way that makes you happy without a care in the world.

6. Have you ever had a dance to your favourite song where you just groove to the music and your partner feels your energy and feeds off of it too? Or vice versa, find a dancer that's so into the music, that you can't help yourself but emulate what their feeling by using that dance connection where you have a "conversation" with your dance partner on the floor through body movement. Use that connection, that's one of the things that makes partner dancing so much fun. When you are out dancing, find partners that enjoy the song/dance as much as you do; and you'll notice the difference.

Did my theory work? A big YES! I hit Smokey Joe's on Monday and closed the place! There were enough dancers to get my fix, but I centered my energy into my dancing and connecting with my partners, and the whole night was a blast with all my partners. The finale was a free-style shine salsa with my jacket on, ready to go home, but the music had me pumped and I just "danced as if nobody was watching" and moved whichever way the music took me.

PS If you never danced with your coat on, try it sometime, there's something indescribable about the feeling you get, similar to walking in the rain without an umbrella without a care in the world.
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum

Male
Number of posts : 549
Job/hobbies : Salsa Teacher
My Salsa Skill Level :
How to get your salsa groove back... Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100How to get your salsa groove back... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-13

http://www.anandmajumdar.com

Back to top Go down

How to get your salsa groove back... Empty Re: How to get your salsa groove back...

Post  Grishma Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:06 am

EXCELLENT!!!!! Very Happy
a must read
Grishma
Grishma

Female
Number of posts : 67
Job/hobbies : student/ dance, music, books, travelling
My Salsa Skill Level :
How to get your salsa groove back... Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100How to get your salsa groove back... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

How to get your salsa groove back... Empty Re: How to get your salsa groove back...

Post  DJ - Deva Jyotula Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:04 am

very nice one.... Must read
DJ - Deva Jyotula
DJ - Deva Jyotula

Male
Number of posts : 201
Job/hobbies : Travelling, Photography, treks n driving.....
Humor : sarcastic.. lol
My Salsa Skill Level :
How to get your salsa groove back... Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100How to get your salsa groove back... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://mindyourownbusiness.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down