Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Make an Enquiry
Call us Now!
+91-9820399296
Our Studio Locations

View QuickstepSALSA Centre Locations in a larger map
Latest topics
» Body Isolations and Coordination by Burju
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am by renata

» Amazing spinning videos
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm by billymarsh

» International Salsa Greats
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm by billymarsh

» Movies about ballroom/latin dancing?
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm by billymarsh

» Dance Floor Etiquette
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 pm by billymarsh

» Dancing On1 and On2 compared
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm by billymarsh

» Why won't men ask me to dance?
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm by billymarsh

» Intro :)
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am by Gaurav

» INTRODUCTION
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm by Alpa Antani

» Tips on Choreography (group performances)
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm by sangeeta

» Spinning Techniques
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm by bhakti

» hello to all
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm by bhakti

» EVENTS COMING UP IN JUNE!
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm by sangeeta

» SOCIAL DANCING vs. CHOREOGRAPHY
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm by sangeeta

» Miss The Wonderful Classes
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm by sangeeta

Video of the day

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 168 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 am
Donations

If your heart permits, click on the picture to donate a little and keep our site high quality and Ad-free
Site Visitors
centerpointe

Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer...

Go down

Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... Empty Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer...

Post  AnandMajumdar Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:42 am

Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer...

by Rose Lau (aka Rose Knows...)
January, 2001

Let me share my experiences of how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer so you can start dancing with the "more advanced" dancers.
Obviously unless you have friends who dance salsa already, you have to be pretty brave to "stick it out" until you make new friends to "hang with" in the clubs.

When I first started, I hardly knew anyone in the salsa scene; and I would go to the clubs on my own. It was tough because I was "new to the scene" and was too shy to go up to guys myself and ask them. I would watch on the sidelines on the one or two nights I went out and would wait for the guys to ask. Then luckily from the dance classes I was taking, I started to meet people who regularly went dancing in the clubs and we would go out religiously one or two nights a week and have a blast. After about a year, most of them dropped out of the scene and I was stuck again, not knowing anyone. I went to the clubs by myself; but because I didn't have the nerve to ask guys to dance, I would go home "not happy" as I couldn't get my salsa fix. I realized that if I wanted to get my fix I would have to start getting the nerve up to ask guys to dance; so I decided that I would ask any guy who I thought was a "great dancer", a teacher or was a dance competitor. They didn't all say "Yes", but that didn't stop me from asking someone else. After all, if guys can handle rejection, so could I.

When I made that decision, it was a turning point in my dancing for these reasons:

1. From dancing with so many male dancers, I learned to adjust my reaction time as a "follower" to their lead, which made me more desirable as a dance partner.

2. With some dancers, I formed a "dance connection" right away, or surprised them with the fact that I could "follow" so well. They became my new regulars each week and sometimes we would dance whole salsa sets together cause there wasn't anyone else at the club that night who we bonded with.

3. As I started going to the classes or workshops with the more "dedicated" dancers, I also got to meet some new great male dancers that I normally hadn't seen or met in the clubs before. And when we saw each other again, we would ask each other to dance.

4. As I got to know my "regulars", I also took the initiative to talk to the male dancers who were interested in practicing or learning new moves and we would get together for an hour or two on a regular basis and practice what we had learned already or work from a dance instructional tape.

5. To become really proficient at salsa, you can't expect to be great from one or two nights a week -- most of my friends, male and female, dance consistently for hours at least 3-4 nights week at the club, plus take dance classes/workshops for at least 6 months to a year, depending on your dance background.

In other words, you can't just stand around and expect to "fit in", you have to work at it. If you want to dance with "more advanced" dancers, then you have to take the initiative yourself and analyze why they may not want to dance with you.
Can you dance their style?
Can you give them their fix?
If not, then take some classes or workshops or maybe you just need to find a partner who wants to practice and become a "more advanced" dancer.

For the men, learn how to lead well. And that doesn't mean a "tug of war" -- there is an art to leading. Some of the best male dancers have a lead that is so precise and feels "like butter" when we dance. It's all up to you -- it's your choice whether to take action or just stand around.

And maybe one day soon, you'll form your own "circle" of dancers/friends you like to dance with --
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum

Male
Number of posts : 549
Job/hobbies : Salsa Teacher
My Salsa Skill Level :
Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Dancing with others... how to "fit in" and/or become a better dancer... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-13

http://www.anandmajumdar.com

Back to top Go down