Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Make an Enquiry
Call us Now!
+91-9820399296
Our Studio Locations

View QuickstepSALSA Centre Locations in a larger map
Latest topics
» Body Isolations and Coordination by Burju
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am by renata

» Amazing spinning videos
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm by billymarsh

» International Salsa Greats
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm by billymarsh

» Movies about ballroom/latin dancing?
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm by billymarsh

» Dance Floor Etiquette
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 pm by billymarsh

» Dancing On1 and On2 compared
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm by billymarsh

» Why won't men ask me to dance?
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm by billymarsh

» Intro :)
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am by Gaurav

» INTRODUCTION
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm by Alpa Antani

» Tips on Choreography (group performances)
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm by sangeeta

» Spinning Techniques
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm by bhakti

» hello to all
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm by bhakti

» EVENTS COMING UP IN JUNE!
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm by sangeeta

» SOCIAL DANCING vs. CHOREOGRAPHY
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm by sangeeta

» Miss The Wonderful Classes
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm by sangeeta

Video of the day

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 168 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 am
Donations

If your heart permits, click on the picture to donate a little and keep our site high quality and Ad-free
Site Visitors
centerpointe

Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10

2 posters

Go down

Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 Empty Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10

Post  AnandMajumdar Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:24 pm

1.7) Which style should I learn ?

Depending on where you live, there may be a variety of styles offered, or
you may be limited to just one. For a list of styles, "click here". There are some differences between the styles that may make one of them more appealing to you. However, make sure the style is practical i.e. it is a popular style danced in your area. For example, if you learn "on 2" and there are only a hand-full of "on-2" dancers in your city, you will not have many partners to dance with.

If multiple styles are popular, check out various instructors and various styles before deciding. Talk to various dancers, and decide "who you want to dance like". Pick your first style that way. As a beginner, learning multiple styles from the get-go is not recommended. Concentrating on one style will make you a better dancer faster. Different styles can actually confuse the dancer's timing, which is something beginners have enough problems with already. As an advanced dancer you may want to experiment with different styles, and see what "feels" better.

Remember, many dancers will be biased to their own style and believe that it is the best. There is no such thing as the "best" style. There are however personal favourites. It's up to you to decide which style is your favorite.

1.Cool Do I need special shoes? Dancewear ?

For a beginner class, special dancewear and shoes are not necessary. Just wear clothes that aren’t restrictive and a pair of comfortable leather-soled shoes (rubber-soled shoes are not recommended as you can’t do a spin with them, but are still ok at the beginner level). Keep jewelry to a minimum as that can get caught and/or can scratch or hurt your partner.

At a more advanced level especially for followers who spin more, shoes with soles that are conducive to spinning will be required (thin leather or suede soles are ideal). Running shoes are not recommended. However it will be a while before your normal shoes present a problem. It’s probably best if you wear the same shoes you wear when you go dancing. For example if you wear 2-inch heels when you dance in the clubs, you should also dance on 2-inch heels to get accustomed to the different balance involved.

If you take dancing more seriously or for a long period of time, you may want to invest in a pair of ballroom shoes (thin suede soles) which cannot be worn in the streets and a pair of dance sneakers to practice your shines or for a full day of workshops.

1.9) Do I need a dance partner to learn?

You definitely do not need a partner to learn how to dance salsa. Nearly all beginner classes accommodate students with no partners. In case you do have a partner, please remember that there are some advantages and disadvantages to dancing with the same person consistently.

Advantages of having a partner is that you have someone to practice with on a regular basis, which is great because a lot of practice is very important. However, practicing with only one partner should be avoided, since your lead/follow will adjust to the partner's mistakes or you will learn to automatically anticipate their moves from sheer habit. So as soon as you start dancing with someone else you mayl encounter problems. While developing the leading and following skills, it is best to dance with a lot of different partners so you don’t rely on your partner to know your moves and compensate for your mistakes.

1.10) I have two left feet. Not sure this is for me...

Sorry, no excuses. Many great dancers started with two left feet and have ended up winning dance competitions! True, some dancers take longer to improve, but everyone can eventually learn to dance. Salsa takes time and dedication to learn proficiently. Unfortunately you may only learn to love the dance AFTER you start dancing properly, but if you never try, you may never know what you’re missing.

If you get very frustrated over a long period of time (weeks), talk to your instructor. Also try out different instructors to see if a different teaching style (not necessarily a better instructor) will better suit your learning style.
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum

Male
Number of posts : 549
Job/hobbies : Salsa Teacher
My Salsa Skill Level :
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-13

http://www.anandmajumdar.com

Back to top Go down

Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 Empty Re: Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10

Post  Varada Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 pm

phew...!! very informative article.

Varada

Female
Number of posts : 139
Humor : wry sense of humor
My Salsa Skill Level :
Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Beginners guide to salsa : part 7,8,9,10 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down