Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Make an Enquiry
Call us Now!
+91-9820399296
Our Studio Locations

View QuickstepSALSA Centre Locations in a larger map
Latest topics
» Body Isolations and Coordination by Burju
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am by renata

» Amazing spinning videos
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm by billymarsh

» International Salsa Greats
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm by billymarsh

» Movies about ballroom/latin dancing?
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm by billymarsh

» Dance Floor Etiquette
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 pm by billymarsh

» Dancing On1 and On2 compared
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm by billymarsh

» Why won't men ask me to dance?
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm by billymarsh

» Intro :)
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am by Gaurav

» INTRODUCTION
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm by Alpa Antani

» Tips on Choreography (group performances)
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm by sangeeta

» Spinning Techniques
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm by bhakti

» hello to all
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm by bhakti

» EVENTS COMING UP IN JUNE!
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm by sangeeta

» SOCIAL DANCING vs. CHOREOGRAPHY
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm by sangeeta

» Miss The Wonderful Classes
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm by sangeeta

Video of the day

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 168 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 am
Donations

If your heart permits, click on the picture to donate a little and keep our site high quality and Ad-free
Site Visitors
centerpointe

Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory

Go down

Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory Empty Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory

Post  AnandMajumdar Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Skill as opposed to Knowledge has four stages of progress

1. Unconscious Incompetence

Lets the example of learning how to ride a bicycle. Before we start we see other people riding and we think it should be easy. Or that it should not be so tough. At that point we dont yet know that we dont know. hence we are "unconscious" about our "incompetence"

2. Conscious Incompetence

We sit on the bike, push the pedal, and THUD! We are on the ground.. elbows and knees bruised and scraped, a little bleeding from the arms and the bike on us. Suddenly it sinks in that "Hey, it is not THAT easy". This stage is when we become "conscious" of our "incompetence"

3. Conscious Competence

Many more days of bruised arms, hurting back and irritation, and you can finally just about balance urself on the bike. But you have to concentrate hard, look straight on the road, and clutch the handle bars hard. Can you let go of the handle bars ? or look at the pretty fields on your left or right ? NO! else there will be a big THUD! again. You are "competent" but its very "conscious"

4. Unconscious Competence

A couple of months into it, and now your hold on the handlebars is much lighter. You can look to your left and right, talk to a companion and maybe even ride the bike without holding the hande bars.. Then you decide to go to work or school on your bike. The bike ride now gets reduced to merely a "mode of transportation" while earlier on while learning it used to be an "event of the day" - "7am to 8 am - learn bicycle". You are now at a stage where suddenly you have become "unconscious" about you "competence". You dont need to think before doing something, and you dont even know that u r good at it

This is what a lot of people also term as "Muscle memory" - It could be as simple as getting adjusted to a new mobile phone - where the buttons mean different things, or riding a bike, or even Learning SALSA.
It takes a while for the muscles in your body to get used to the action to be performed, but once it does, there is no delay in performing the action - once the brain sends the signal to perform it Smile

Many ppl say that once your muscle memory is really good, your brain is bypassed - its not really true. Every signal is sent to the brain, but its just that your body has got so adjusted to the action that it doesnt take time for the muscle to respond and perform the action with ease and skill

All "unconscious incompetence" and "musle memory" is related to only factor - PRACTICE. Practice practice practice..thats the only way.... 10 years into dancing i still feel i havent got enough practice

love
anand
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum

Male
Number of posts : 549
Job/hobbies : Salsa Teacher
My Salsa Skill Level :
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-13

http://www.anandmajumdar.com

Back to top Go down

Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory Empty Re: Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory

Post  AnandMajumdar Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 pm

i have found that on days i practice my dancing (other than class) just otherwise at home or elsewhere, i feel better, i am in a better mood and my day goes better Smile
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar

Male
Number of posts : 549
Job/hobbies : Salsa Teacher
My Salsa Skill Level :
Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Stages of Learning - and Muscle Memory Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-13

http://www.anandmajumdar.com

Back to top Go down