Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Make an Enquiry
Call us Now!
+91-9820399296
Our Studio Locations

View QuickstepSALSA Centre Locations in a larger map
Latest topics
» Body Isolations and Coordination by Burju
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 am by renata

» Amazing spinning videos
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm by billymarsh

» International Salsa Greats
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm by billymarsh

» Movies about ballroom/latin dancing?
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm by billymarsh

» Dance Floor Etiquette
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:12 pm by billymarsh

» Dancing On1 and On2 compared
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm by billymarsh

» Why won't men ask me to dance?
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm by billymarsh

» Intro :)
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 am by Gaurav

» INTRODUCTION
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm by Alpa Antani

» Tips on Choreography (group performances)
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:24 pm by sangeeta

» Spinning Techniques
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm by bhakti

» hello to all
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm by bhakti

» EVENTS COMING UP IN JUNE!
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm by sangeeta

» SOCIAL DANCING vs. CHOREOGRAPHY
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm by sangeeta

» Miss The Wonderful Classes
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm by sangeeta

Video of the day

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 168 on Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 am
Donations

If your heart permits, click on the picture to donate a little and keep our site high quality and Ad-free
Site Visitors
centerpointe

Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win

3 posters

Go down

Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Empty Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win

Post  kumar Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:34 pm

Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win, by Simona Boucek

How exactly does one win a Salsa competition? The answer is not as simple as most people think. You need to know how to Salsa, right? Well, not exactly. Here are a few tips that will get any couple - even the ones that don't know Salsa from square dancing - to win.

First, choosing to do a routine to a Salsa song is absolutely not necessary. You will get more attention if you use a song in a completely different genre like country or jazz . Heck, go for Classical. Pretty much, the Salsa crowd has heard just about every good Salsa song there is - you need to stand apart from all those other Salsa routines. You need to catch the crowd and judges off guard and go for something different. They won't expect it, and you will create an aura of mystery.

Second, choose your outfits wisely. You need to match your partner; There's no way around that, but, be creative. Everyone has seen the sexy little tops and flare skirts on Salsa girls - boring! Try, a butcher's apron, a utility belt and chaps. That would get their attention. For the guy, get rid of the nice black slacks and matching black T-Shirt and try a fish-net shirt, some bell-bottom pants, and an eye patch (a definite winner with the ladies).

Now, as important as the items above, you have to do some kind of dancing. It IS a Salsa contest, after all. First, ignore the required length for the routine and take your time. Go for a 10 or 15 minute choreography. After all, is that not what the crowd came for: to see you dance? So give them their money's worth. It really is OK. The judges are not expecting you to follow the rules of the contest.

Second, acrobatics, acrobatics and more acrobatics. Adding the element of danger is always a crowd pleaser and a sure win with the judges. Go for the gasps instead of the cheers. If you want to take it one step further, add an element of danger for the crowd. Use swords, fire or other objects that could potentially cause severe injury to yourself and those around you. You'll snatch up first prize for sure because the crowd and judges feel an overwhelming sense of relief that your routine is over and you didn't kill them.

Make sure to shine, and I don't mean buff up your skin so you literally glow (although that might help you) I mean "shine" as in "do intricate footwork away from your partner". Sure, Salsa is a couple's dance, but why bore the crowd with that when you can impress them with fancy footwork. And remember, repetition is the key. There's no need to be creative or even to use the music to your advantage. Just move your feet as fast as you possibly can. At first you'lll confuse the crowd, but eventually they'll come around and understand that you must be really good if they don't get it.

So in conclusion, choose a weird song, wacky outfits, and wild routine.It's not a sure thing that you'll win, but it will make the contest a lot of fun for the rest.
kumar
kumar
Cool Member
Cool Member

Male
Number of posts : 42
My Salsa Skill Level :
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Empty Re: Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win

Post  Guest Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:16 pm

dude cn u jst highlite d main words or display it in point frms coz its daam borin while readin whs whol thng....

Back to top Go down

Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Empty Re: Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win

Post  ashishsax Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Kumar,
Its a very nice article... i really enjoyed reading it... esp. the para abt. using swords.. hehe.. pls post more such articles..

Aman,
Kindly be more careful with your choice of words.. you may end up discouraging the poster... i understand that you had no such intentions and only wanted to convey your suggestion..

cheers!! Very Happy
ashishsax
ashishsax

Male
Number of posts : 118
Job/hobbies : IT
My Salsa Skill Level :
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  AnandMajumdar Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:26 pm

"admin" ashishsax,

you are alive ? really ? im surprised

admin anand
AnandMajumdar
AnandMajumdar
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum
Founder - QuickstepSALSA Forum

Male
Number of posts : 549
Job/hobbies : Salsa Teacher
My Salsa Skill Level :
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Left_bar_bleue50 / 10050 / 100Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-13

http://www.anandmajumdar.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kumar Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:39 pm

Thx Ashish for ur support.

Anand, Hope u liked the article

Kumar
kumar
kumar
Cool Member
Cool Member

Male
Number of posts : 42
My Salsa Skill Level :

Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:07 am

HEY ASHISH WELCOME BACK............

GOOD TO C U AGAIN.............

i aplozise for ma aggresive comment........

ASHISH WE REALLY MISSED YOU.........

Back to top Go down

Post  ashishsax Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:27 pm

hey Aman.. how r u buddy... i was just caught up with work last couple of days... missed u all..
ashishsax
ashishsax

Male
My Salsa Skill Level :
Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Salsa competition - How to wow the judges and win Empty topic moved..

Post  ashishsax Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:34 pm

(Topic moved from 'Salsa Basics :: :: General'
to 'Resources :: :: Articles, Quotations, Trivia')
ashishsax
ashishsax

Male
My Salsa Skill Level :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down